Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database
Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #179659] Wed, 28 June 2006 05:57 Go to next message
nssubrahmanyam
I am facing difficulty in connecting Oracle 10g client to Oracle 10g database. Both the machines are in windows xp with service pack-2.
The following observations are made in server machine
1. The loopback test of the server is successful.
2. One net service name created in the server end.
3. Database connection is successful with above service name.
4. tnsping <server ip address> is successful

The tnsnames.ora file of the server is

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

CONTRACT =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 80.0.28.42)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = cam)
)
)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

the sqlnet.ora file of the server is

sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\sqlnet.ora

# This file is actually generated by netca. But if customers choose to
# install "Software Only", this file wont exist and without the native
# authentication, they will not be able to connect to the database on NT.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

SQLNET.INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT = 30

The listner.ora file of the server is

listener.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\listener.ora

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION =
)

When I am connecting the 10g database with 10g client I am getting ORA-12170 error.

Attempting to connect using userid: nss
The test did not succeed.
ORA-12170: TNS:Connect timeout occurred

There may be an error in the fields entered,
or the server may not be ready for a connection.

Please suggest how to configure this connectivity.

The client side tnsnames.ora file is as given below

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora

CONTRACT =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = cam)
)
)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

The sqlnet.ora file of the client side is

sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

# install "Software Only", this file wont exist and without the native
# authentication, they will not be able to connect to the database on NT.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

Please help me in this connectivity
Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #179680 is a reply to message #179659] Wed, 28 June 2006 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
To start with, comment off all entries in sqlnet.ora and try again.
Regards~

EDIT:
Quote:

Read this later.

[Updated on: Wed, 28 June 2006 07:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #179770 is a reply to message #179680] Wed, 28 June 2006 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nssubrahmanyam
Dear Mr Mahesh,

Thanks for the reply.

1. I am not able to access the database from the client. Now I am forced to allow the users to do the data entry only in the server machine where database resides.

2. The exact error is given below. This error is in client machine.

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------

I will do the changes suggested in sqlnet.ora file. I hope you have suggested to comment off the entries in client side sqlnet.ora. Am I correct ?

With Best regards

N.S.Subrahmanyam

Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #179772 is a reply to message #179770] Wed, 28 June 2006 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
comment the entries in server and client side.
Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #179843 is a reply to message #179772] Thu, 29 June 2006 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nssubrahmanyam
Dear Mahesh,

I have commennted off both sqlnet.ora files and tried.

I have pur "/*" at starting of sqlnet.ora file script and "*/" at the end of the script. This is what I understood by commenting off. Is this OK?

I am getting the same error while connecting through net manager from client side

----------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------

I also tried from command prompt of client machine to connect. The errors are provided in the attachment file. Even telnet (host ip address) from command prompt is also not working.

Both server and client are win xp service pack-2 with fire wall on. Do I need to change anything there ?

N.S.Subrahmanyam

Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #179904 is a reply to message #179843] Thu, 29 June 2006 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I have pur "/*" at starting of sqlnet.ora file script and "*/" at the end of the script. This is what I understood by commenting off. Is this OK?
Not OK.
It is already explained in the file.
#sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\NETWORK\ADMIN\sqlnet.ora

Use #
Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #180021 is a reply to message #179904] Thu, 29 June 2006 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nssubrahmanyam
Dear Mahesh,

I have edited the sqlnet.ora file at both client and server side as suggested by you. I got the following error when connected from client through net manager.
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------

The tnsping from command prompt gives TNS-12535 timeout error. Pls see the attachment.

I also checked up the sqlnet.log file of client which registered the following.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Fatal NI connect error 12170.

VERSION INFORMATION:
TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
Time: 30-JUN-2006 04:31:42
Tracing not turned on.
Tns error struct:
ns main err code: 12535
TNS-12535: TNS:operation timed out
ns secondary err code: 12560
nt main err code: 505
TNS-00505: Operation timed out
nt secondary err code: 60
nt OS err code: 0
Client address: <unknown>
----------------------------------------------------------------

Please suggest me the next course of action.

N.S.Subrahmanyam

[Updated on: Thu, 29 June 2006 18:30]

Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #180023 is a reply to message #179659] Thu, 29 June 2006 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
As a shot in the dark, comment out the following line
#SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
and stop & start the listener
Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #180041 is a reply to message #180023] Thu, 29 June 2006 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nssubrahmanyam
Dear Anacedent ,

i have done as suggested by you. But the problem remained. Fianlly I could locate that the windows firewall of server could be the problem. I turned off the firewall and connected successfully without making any changes to sqlnet.ora or tnsnames.ora.

I know that turning off the firewall is not advisable. Can you suggest me how to configure firewall (win xp) for receiving oracle 10g client.

I have added one port in exceptions tab of windows firewall with some name (Oracle 10g port or so) and declared the port number as 1521 (defualt in our case). In the scope button i have given the ip addresses of the client with subnet mask ( ip address / subnet mask) and saved the configuration. Now it is working fine.

If you have any other good alternative to what I have done, please let me know.

Thanks for the support given to me throughout in this forum. This is my first interaction in Oracle forum and I appreciate the professional support you extent to new users like me.

N.S.Subrahmanyam

[Updated on: Fri, 30 June 2006 00:26]

Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #180042 is a reply to message #179904] Thu, 29 June 2006 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nssubrahmanyam
Dear Mahesh ,

I have done as suggested by you. But the problem remained. I sent one reply in the morning. This is my second reply to your suggestion. I went on with finding other probabilities.

Fianlly I could locate that the windows firewall of server could be the problem. I turned off the firewall and connected successfully without making any changes to sqlnet.ora or tnsnames.ora.

I know that turning off the firewall is not advisable. Can you suggest me how to configure firewall (win xp) for receiving oracle 10g client.

I have added one port in exceptions tab of windows firewall with some name (Oracle 10g port or so) and declared the port number as 1521 (defualt in our case). In the scope button i have given the ip addresses of the client with subnet mask ( ip address / subnet mask) and saved the configuration. Now it is working fine.

If you have any other good alternative to what I have done, please let me know.

Thanks for the support given to me throughout in this forum. This is my first interaction in Oracle forum and I appreciate the professional support you extent to new users like me.

I will always remember a gentleman called Mahesh Rajendran.

Thanks a lot

N.S.Subrahmanyam

[Updated on: Fri, 30 June 2006 00:24]

Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #180125 is a reply to message #180042] Fri, 30 June 2006 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Ah!. Firewall.
The standard workaround for that is make the registry settting use_shared_socket=TRUE.
Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #180137 is a reply to message #180125] Fri, 30 June 2006 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nssubrahmanyam
Thanks. Noted the details

N.S.Subrahmanyam
Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #414900 is a reply to message #179659] Fri, 24 July 2009 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snilofer
Are there multiple Oracle installation on your machine?

I used to get this error when there were two installations on my machine and the ORACLE_HOME was set to some wrong value.

Remove the ORACLE_HOME variable completely and restart the PC.

If Windows firewall is enabled on your machine; add the Oracle port: 1521 to the Windows exception as follows:

Open firewall to allow SQL*Net connections through
Open firewall settings and ensure the listener port is not blocked.
For example, on a Windows system, navigate to Control Panel-> Security Center-> Windows Firewall-> Exceptions. Click on Add port and add port 1521 or whatever port the listener is running on (see listener.ora).

Refer the following Oracle FAQ: www.orafaq.com/wiki/ORA-12170
Re: Oracle 10g client not getting connceted to Oracle 10g database [message #525824 is a reply to message #414900] Wed, 05 October 2011 19:10 Go to previous message
gcshekar

Your post was very helpful and to the point.
Thanks! Ganesh
Previous Topic: tns error
Next Topic: status:failure-lo exception:The network adapter could not establish the connection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:11:45 CDT 2024