Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » DSS and OLAP
DSS and OLAP [message #92884] Tue, 08 January 2002 05:33 Go to next message
Kane
Guys:

Anyone knows what is the difference between the term DSS and OLAP?
Re: DSS and OLAP [message #92905 is a reply to message #92884] Thu, 14 February 2002 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bala
Hi

DSS -- Decision Support system
And OLAP---online analytical processing

they pretty much go together..

you might meant difference between
DSS and OLTP

OLTP--Online transaction processing

OLTP is day to day application transcation systems
like...ATM, airline booking etc...
DSS is a data repository..or a warehouse where the data will be loaded from OLTP systems on a timely maner(ex. every night)...so that
they can analyse the data and produce reports out of them..

why would you want to keep them seperate..
because u need two different configurations for them in terms of data structures, back up, system resources etc...
Re: DSS and OLAP [message #93062 is a reply to message #92884] Mon, 02 December 2002 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janet
What did you say?
Your topic is the difference between DSS and OLAP. Why did you change the content to difference between DSS and OLTP? Also, OLAP is not OLTP, they have relations but not same thing.
Re: DSS and OLAP [message #93064 is a reply to message #92884] Mon, 02 December 2002 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bala
Janet
That was my reply to Kane's original posting.

I thought perhaps she meant to say OLTP and ended up saying OLAP. Because there isn't any big difference between DSS and OLAP.

But there is huge difference between DSS and OLTP systems. That is why i discussed about the differences between DSS and OLTP systems.

Since that was a reply i didn't change the topic (subject).

Bala.
icon7.gif  Re: DSS and OLAP [message #251550 is a reply to message #92884] Sat, 14 July 2007 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sid_rocks
Hi there....On the surface both DSS and OLAP look pretty much the same as both of them are meant for same purpose...more or less. But, if looked into a deeper aspect, they do differ in the way the query is answered. For eg. if i ask you a question like "show the top ten selling stores across US or Europe in 1997?" or "Show me the comparison of sale from this week to last week?"...to answer these question an analysis needs to be done based on the profitability levels of various firms. Based on that we need to evaluate which are the top 10 stores(which is like having different dimensions) or compare the sale done in the two weeks(which requires analyzing and comparing all the items sold in the 2 weeks). On the other hand DSS answers are pretty straight forward for eg. the questions like "How many blue jeans were sold in our Eastern store this month?" or "What were the monthly sales of shoes for retailer X?"...the answer to these questions would be straight and would not require "analysis" as you can find it out by looking at the reports. So, the difference lies in the kind of question that is asked....I hope that i have answered your question.....Smile
Re: DSS and OLAP [message #251722 is a reply to message #251550] Mon, 16 July 2007 04:21 Go to previous message
UKSangs
Hi Sid_Rocks,

I wouldn't agree with you completely.

OLAP is an element of DSS. Decision Support System is , as the name says, a SYSTEM within a business department. It is a generic term. OLAP is a process or element of DSS which helps the analysts in DSS to arrive at a decision.

Cheers
Sangs.

Previous Topic: metadata management
Next Topic: Mapping a Cube - big problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:47:02 CDT 2024