Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Second Oracle 12c install on same server, db or instance? (Oracle 12c on AWS on CentOS Linux)
icon5.gif  Second Oracle 12c install on same server, db or instance? [message #652844] Mon, 20 June 2016 21:49 Go to next message
Milenna
Hi,

I have an Oracle 12c running on AWS on CentOS Linux rel 7.1. The database has been installed as a standalone non-CDB database. This DEV database is used for development. I have to install a second environment, for QA, on the same server. This time I want to use Container DB/Pluggable DB feature of 12c.
I think here is what my plan should be:
- Install a separate Container database
- Create the QA database as a first PDB
- Convert the standalone DEV database to become a second PDB

My questions:
- To create this Container/Pluggable databases, do I have to run a separate Oracle installation? Can I create it as another database within the existing Oracle Home?
- Can Container/Pluggable databases installation be placed in the same Oracle Home as the standalone DEV, or a separate Home needs to be created?
- The DEV was installed using "oracle" account. There is a .bash_profile defining the instance for the "oracle" user. Do I have to create another user, say "oracle_qa", and use it for the second installation? Would oracle install run if I use non-"oracle" user? Or I have to run the second installation as "oracle", but somehow switch between the instances before I start the install process? would both installations, DEV and QA, run under "oracle" user if i use it for both installs?

The install runs using a response file, db_install.rsp, there is no graphics.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you very much

Re: Second Oracle 12c install on same server, db or instance? [message #652846 is a reply to message #652844] Tue, 21 June 2016 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
A CDB is just another database, nothing special. You can use the same OS user and the same Oracle Home if you want to.
Re: Second Oracle 12c install on same server, db or instance? [message #652883 is a reply to message #652846] Tue, 21 June 2016 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
As John said, you can use the same OS user and your existing Oracle installation.
Fire up DBCA to create a new container (CDB) database. You should see a checkbox, "create as container database".
When done, you can add additional PDBs to the CDB with DBCA, and even plug your existing non-CDB as a PDB into your newly created CDB.
Re: Second Oracle 12c install on same server, db or instance? [message #652886 is a reply to message #652883] Tue, 21 June 2016 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Milenna
Great. Than I can keep these in my bash_profile:
export ORACLE_HOSTNAME=...
export ORACLE_BASE=...
export ORACLE_HOME=....

and only change these:
export ORACLE_UNQNAME=QA12CDB
export ORACLE_SID=QA12CDB

Login again as "oracle" and continue from here... Right?

As for DBCA interface, I do not have graphical interface. I have installed a few servers using response file, got to read up on how to create a db without graphical interface.

Thank you very much!

[Updated on: Tue, 21 June 2016 14:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Second Oracle 12c install on same server, db or instance? [message #652888 is a reply to message #652886] Tue, 21 June 2016 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
DBCA can operate in command-line/silent mode. Try dbca -help for options.
Re: Second Oracle 12c install on same server, db or instance? [message #652894 is a reply to message #652888] Tue, 21 June 2016 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Milenna
Thank you!
Re: Second Oracle 12c install on same server, db or instance? [message #652923 is a reply to message #652886] Wed, 22 June 2016 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
Milenna wrote on Tue, 21 June 2016 14:35
Great. Than I can keep these in my bash_profile:
export ORACLE_HOSTNAME=...
export ORACLE_BASE=...
export ORACLE_HOME=....

and only change these:
export ORACLE_UNQNAME=QA12CDB
export ORACLE_SID=QA12CDB

Login again as "oracle" and continue from here... Right?

You don't need to modify your .bash_profile and log on again. Just use oraenv to change the settings as needed.

Also, you shouldn't be hard-coding ORACLE_HOME, etc. in you .bash_profile. Again, leverage oraenv, like this:

ORAENV_ASK=NO
ORACLE_SID=<your "default" database>
. oraenv
ORAENV_ASK=YES

I leave it as an exercise to the student to read up on 'oraenv'.

Quote:

As for DBCA interface, I do not have graphical interface. I have installed a few servers using response file, got to read up on how to create a db without graphical interface.

Why not have a graphical interface for dbca? All you need to do is configure your ssh session appropriately and run an x-server (I use xming) on your desktop.

Re: Second Oracle 12c install on same server, db or instance? [message #652950 is a reply to message #652923] Wed, 22 June 2016 10:37 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
You can also create a CDB from SQL*plus with the CREATE DATABASE statement. Just include "ENABLE PLUGGABLE DATABASE" in the syntax. This will create a CDB with the root and seed PDB. Thereafter, "CREATE PLUGGABLE DATABASE" to create your PDB's.
Previous Topic: Checkpoint not complete
Next Topic: Getting OUI - 10150:runtime exception while setting s_dlgCfgNamingLabelSIDn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:37:40 CDT 2024