Home » Other » Training & Certification » Creating the ideal training plan
Creating the ideal training plan [message #615680] Fri, 06 June 2014 20:38 Go to next message
matthewmorris68

The company I work for has just authorized an assistant for me. Supporting my existing applications has started severely limiting the time I have to develop new ones (and they come up with new ones for me to develop on a regular basis). Since an experienced developer would much rather write code of his own rather than support mine, the position is basically for a blank-slate college grad.

I have to get this person (once they are hired) up to speed ASAP both on my applications and on Oracle in general. I have to do this without spending huge amounts of my own time training them. I'm also not going to be allowed to spend significant amounts of money sending them to OU classes to be trained. My basic plan is to assign them several OU certification exams as part of their individual development plan. I can also assign them books to read from the company's Books 24x7 account. Books from most major publishers are there, so I can assign a huge range of books that they can access for free online. I wrote an article about this base plan here: http://certmag.com/train-assistant-certification-makes-minion/

The skills I need my assistant to have are basically SQL, PL/SQL, Apex, and basic database administration. A somewhat expanded list from the books I refer to in that article are below. Can anyone think of any others that would be valuable? Alternately, can anyone think of another method for helping him get up to speed in these areas?

SQL
Oracle Database 11g SQL by Jason Price
OCA Oracle Database 11g SQL Fundamentals I Exam Guide: Exam 1Z0-051 by John Watson and Roopesh Ramklass
OCA: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate Study Guide: (Exams1Z0-051 and 1Z0-052) by Biju Thomas
Pro Oracle SQL (Expert's Voice in Oracle) by Karen Morton, Kerry Osborne, Robyn Sands and Riyaj Shamsudeen
OCA Oracle Database SQL Certified Expert Exam Guide (Exam 1Z0-047)

PL/SQL
Oracle PL/SQL Programming by Steven Feuerstein , Bill Pribyl
Oracle Database 11g PL/SQL Programming Workbook by Michael McLaughlin and John Harper
Oracle Database 11g PL/SQL Programming by Michael McLaughlin

Admin
Oracle Concepts Manual
Beginning Oracle Database 11g Administration: From Novice to Professional by Iggy Fernandez
OCA Oracle Database 11g Administration I Exam Guide (Exam 1Z0-052) by John Watson
OCA: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate Study Guide: (Exams1Z0-051 and 1Z0-052) by Biju Thomas
Oracle Database 11g DBA Handbook (Oracle Press) by Bob Bryla and Kevin Loney
Pro Oracle Database 11g Administration (Expert's Voice in Oracle) by Darl Kuhn

Application Express
Beginning Oracle Application Express 4.2 by Doug Gault, Karen Cannell, Patrick Cimolini and Martin Giffy D'Souza
Expert Oracle Application Express by Dietmar Aust, Martin Giffy D'Souza, Doug Gault and Dimitri Gielis
Oracle Application Express for Mobile Web Applications by Roel Hartman, Christian Rokitta and David Peake
Re: Creating the ideal training plan [message #615689 is a reply to message #615680] Sat, 07 June 2014 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

SQL
SQL Success - Database Programming Proficiency by Stephane Faroult

SQL Applications in real world
The Art of SQL by Stephane Faroult
Refactoring SQL Applications by Stephane Faroult

Re: Creating the ideal training plan [message #615704 is a reply to message #615689] Sat, 07 June 2014 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Good suggestions, but unfortunately that exposed a big hole in Books 24x7. O'Reilly is not a participating publisher. I may have to get a subscription to Safari Books Online for a few months. In particular, I really want him to read Steven Feuerstein's book.
Re: Creating the ideal training plan [message #615705 is a reply to message #615680] Sat, 07 June 2014 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I would subscribe him/her to some Oracle forums, if he isn't already. Perhaps choose two or three from here, and a couple more from the OTN forums. Task him with reading the new posts, and attempting to answer. I have learnt an extraordinary amount from reading peoples' questions, looking at the (sometimes wrong) answers, and doing whatever research is necessary to try to understand them. This is spare-time activity that you can track by looking at his recent posts. I'm not suggesting giving him a target of N posts per week, but it is something measurable and will give a good impression of how he is applying his learning to the real world.
Re: Creating the ideal training plan [message #615711 is a reply to message #615705] Sat, 07 June 2014 13:05 Go to previous message
matthewmorris68

Good thought. Forum-based training/learning I hadn't even considered. First though I'll have him lurk for a while so that he learns how to ask (and how not to ask) questions. Then I'll suggest he post some questions of his own. Knowing how to make use of the Oracle community to find answers to tough questions is almost as valuable as stocking your head with information.
Previous Topic: Oracle Project Accounting Online Training
Next Topic: Oracle course completion certification validity
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:39:38 CDT 2024