Home » Other » Community Hangout » Spam on OTN
Spam on OTN [message #610020] Sun, 16 March 2014 10:05 Go to next message
John Watson
I have to spend a bit of time on the OTN forums, I usually look at General Questions. Recently, it has become unusable: hundreds of spam posts a day, advertising prostitutes in India. The moderators do not seem to be capable of preventing this, or of clearing them in a reasonable time. I was wondering if there was a way to suggest that OTN forum uses should come here, instead? They would have a much better experience. Unless of course they are looking for personal services in India.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 March 2014 10:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spam on OTN [message #610025 is a reply to message #610020] Sun, 16 March 2014 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Here Frank is able to block IP addresses in such cases.

Re: Spam on OTN [message #610026 is a reply to message #610025] Sun, 16 March 2014 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I thought that you were about to suggest those spammers come over here as you are sick of spammers advertising suspicious training institutes in India. /forum/fa/917/0/

I've seen some statistics (years ago, I must admit), saying that number of newly registered OraFAQ members is decreasing, so I suppose that Frank would be happy to see all of them coming here. If prostitutes (oops! Spammers!) come along, I guess we'll manage.
Re: Spam on OTN [message #610086 is a reply to message #610026] Mon, 17 March 2014 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Yeah! We can have our own forum, with blackjack and hookers! In fact, forget the forum and the blackjack.
Re: Spam on OTN [message #610092 is a reply to message #610026] Mon, 17 March 2014 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Some of the regulars are at least perceived to be less courteous than others. I wonder if that might help to explain the site's falling numbers?
Re: Spam on OTN [message #610115 is a reply to message #610092] Mon, 17 March 2014 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Thomas: that's the spirit! LOL!

Gazzag: maybe, but not necessary. It certainly has something to do with number of members who registered, posted any number of messages (1, 2 or even hundreds (I'm the witness) and left OraFAQ forum because of the attitude. I don't visit other forums much so I can't tell whether people actually talk about it (you know, don't go there, you won't like it!). Did anyone hear such a rumor?
Re: Spam on OTN [message #610166 is a reply to message #610115] Tue, 18 March 2014 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yikes! Someone deleted gazzag's message where he complained about hostile attitude towards him.

As I took some time to answer, I'll post it and would NOT want you (whoever you are) to delete it. Because, I'll repost it, again and again. Someone would call it spam, eh?

The first discussion about what you (gazzag), unfortunately, noticed on your own skin, took place almost 7 years ago. Maybe you'd want to read it, here: Some thoughts about OraFAQ. Meanwhile, I've witnessed members leaving OraFAQ forum because they either didn't want to be someone's doormat, got tired of fighting windmills, didn't want to participate discussions on such a place or - recently - stopping by now and them, posting occasionally and - practically - are about to leave.

I'm sorry for not having them here any more. I'm sorry that anyone experiences unpleasantness; perhaps you should contact site admin (Frank Naude) if you feel that he might help solving a problem. I can't do much, I'm just a member as anyone else (OK, having some extra powers, but that doesn't change the fact).

By the way, do you remember a recent "consistency about RTFM" remark you made (and I answered)? There are certain RTFM questions, just like today's INSTR syntax. Personally, I love to read Solomon Yakobson and Billy Verreynne (aka vslabs), Kevin Meade, Barbara Boehmer (just to mention a few) who certainly don't spend time on such an easy questions, and if they do - answers are worth reading.

Oh well, it's probably life. I'd be sorry if you left the forum (especially now that hookers are coming!). Think twice; sometimes it is interesting to fight a windmill. You can never tell, maybe you could win.
Re: Spam on OTN [message #611297 is a reply to message #610166] Tue, 01 April 2014 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Littlefoot wrote on Tue, 18 March 2014 14:58
Yikes! Someone deleted gazzag's message where he complained about hostile attitude towards him.

As far as I remember, long back when I complained similar thing (coincidently it was Littlefoot who too witnessed it back then), I was informed that usually when a moderator deletes a message, as a forum etiquette, the moderator informs the user about why his/her message was removed. Now that there isn't anyway to know who is this SOMEONE who doesn't care to even give a reason for using the moderator wand so carelessly, I contemplate that we remain suspicious about this SOMEONE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a while I stopped participating in OraFAQ forums, tired of fighting windmills, yeah, I thought so. Just logged in to see if there are any new topics which would make me learn something new, however, I always get to see this topic about people leaving OraFAQ a never ending one. Crap, now I am tired of this topic itself. Now I see a different side of it, I choose not to fight the windmill, rather use it to produce soemthing useful. But, in addition to that, I would only be a part of such discussions where I see quality people participating (I don't have to name all of them, I know who they are, few have been already named by LF) Smile

Regards,
Lalit
Re: Spam on OTN [message #611347 is a reply to message #610020] Tue, 01 April 2014 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
John Watson wrote on Sun, 16 March 2014 08:05
I have to spend a bit of time on the OTN forums, I usually look at General Questions. Recently, it has become unusable: hundreds of spam posts a day, advertising prostitutes in India. The moderators do not seem to be capable of preventing this, or of clearing them in a reasonable time. I was wondering if there was a way to suggest that OTN forum uses should come here, instead? They would have a much better experience. Unless of course they are looking for personal services in India.

Back in 2008, Frank Naude suggested putting a link to OraFAQ on OTN's page that is displayed when it is down and said that OraFAQ could do the same:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/128205/0/unread/43710/#msg_361172

I liked the idea of such a reciprocal agreement, so I posted it on the OTN forum with a link:

https://community.oracle.com/thread/832837?tstart=0

It didn't happen. As you can see, the discussion went off on a tangent similar to this thread.
Re: Spam on OTN [message #611353 is a reply to message #611347] Tue, 01 April 2014 14:52 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Gosh, it was 2008?!? I remember your initiative, Barbara, and know the outcome. Didn't follow the OTN thread, though. Psychotherapy & part-time gynecologist, eh? /forum/fa/450/0/
Previous Topic: Contest: the most vague question
Next Topic: Got offer letter from Oracle - accepted it :-)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:57:12 CDT 2024