Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » How to Implement a Non-RAC (Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage) (Oracle, IBM, 11gr2, AIX 7.1 PowerHA SystemMirror ,Unix(AIX))
How to Implement a Non-RAC (Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage) [message #574564] Sat, 12 January 2013 23:20 Go to next message
nolimer
Hi Oracle DBA Community,

We have an Implementation of Non-RAC (Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage) and below is the Details,

The client have a Real Application Cluster configuration on their AIX Server from there Data Center and they want to implement a Single instance Database that will used ASM as Storage and the storage or Disk that they want to use is the same Disk or Mirror copy of the Disk from their RAC Database.

Scenario:
-The AIX Server that they have is a one-way Hardware Mirroring (PPRC) only and it is not designed to run a 24/7 activity.
-DATAGUARD is not an option.

Questions:

Can anyone from the Oracle DBA community have experience the following? It will be great help from us if you share or comment.

Hope to have a reply from the Oracle DBA community.

best regards,
Noli
Re: How to Implement a Non-RAC (Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage) [message #574569 is a reply to message #574564] Sun, 13 January 2013 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I don't see what is your concern. Can you explain?
For me, you just have to create the database; this later does not care if ASM is RAC or not RAC.

Regards
Michel
Re: How to Implement a Non-RAC (Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage) [message #574575 is a reply to message #574569] Sun, 13 January 2013 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nolimer
Hi sir michael,

We have an existing RAC on our Data Center and We have an IBM AIX that is designed to run a Synchronous Peer to Peer Remote copy(PPRC) that used to copy data to a remote site for Disaster Recovery Purposes.

Scenario will be,

Since that our Server from the DR site have a PPRC capability it used a remote copy of our ASM-RAC (from our Data center) as storage. Is it possible that we install a Single Instance to our DR-Site and used the copy of our ASM-RAC as storage?

Hope to have another reply from you sir and to other DBA professionals.

best regards,

noli
Re: How to Implement a Non-RAC (Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage) [message #574577 is a reply to message #574575] Sun, 13 January 2013 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
It sounds to me as though you are trying to set up an "extended cluster", also known as a "stretched cluster": instances at different sites opening a copy of the same database. This is complex stuff. I would usually recommend using ASM for the mirroring rather than the OS and hardware based synchronization technique you describe. But it can certainly work.
Re: How to Implement a Non-RAC (Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage) [message #574579 is a reply to message #574577] Sun, 13 January 2013 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nolimer
Hi sir john,

It just that we have already an agreement to used the AIX Server (PPRC hardware mirroring) with IBM. That's why our option is to install a single instance that will used the PPRC mirror copy of the ASM storage from our RAC database.

Our plan is to install the Grid Infrastructure first and Database software to manage the ASM storage and set some cluster parameter to false.. We just hope that the database will be up with this procedure.

Do you have another suggestion sir, I hope that i explain it to you well. Thank you sir.

Hope to have other suggestions from other DBA

best ragards,

noli
Re: How to Implement a Non-RAC (Single Instance with Existing ASM-RAC as storage) [message #574580 is a reply to message #574579] Sun, 13 January 2013 09:33 Go to previous message
John Watson
I'm not clear on whether this PPRC mechanism is what Oracle would term "host based mirroring" or "array based mirroring". Either way, it can be made to work: two instances at one site, one instance at the other site. But setting up a stretched RAC is quite complicated, and the method you are describing (which appears to be two clusters, not one stretched cluster) is not possible. Seriously, you need a thorough understanding of RAC and Grid Infrastructure to do this successfully.

(If you want assistance, my boss will be happy to quote Smile )
Previous Topic: CRS-1006:The OCR location /dev/raw/raw2 is inaccessible
Next Topic: Question on RAC database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:32:31 CDT 2024