Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » creating cluster resources for oracle enterprise manager using clusterware (11.2)
creating cluster resources for oracle enterprise manager using clusterware [message #569302] Wed, 24 October 2012 09:20 Go to next message
jagdip
Hi,

My application consists of Oracle RAC and Oracle Enterprise Manage (OEM) on same two nodes. I am exploring the idea of utilizing Oracle Clusterware (which is already installed with Oracle RAC) to support OEM in active passive mode.

Here is the scenario.

Node A running Solaris 10.9 on SPARC and Node B running Solaris 10.9 on SPARC.

Node A and Node B are both Oracle RAC Nodes ( Active Active ) which use Shared Storage for Oracle using ASM.

Node A and Node B will run Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) Application in active passive scenario which will be using Oracle RAC for its database. So, both Oracle RAC and OEM are sharing same server A and B for its clusters.

Now, OEM application need a third party clusterware to fail it over. It needs clusterware to provide floating VIP and shared folder of the size of 20GB which will keep software libraries. If node A goes down, node B have access to same libraries and will come up as active.

Do you know if oracle clusterware which comes with Oracle RAC can support OEM for failing over i.e. it can provide floating VIP and shared file system?
Re: creating cluster resources for oracle enterprise manager using clusterware [message #569308 is a reply to message #569302] Wed, 24 October 2012 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
Do you know if oracle clusterware which comes with Oracle RAC can support OEM for failing over i.e. it can provide floating VIP and shared file system?
Yes, of course it can do this. Application VIPs and ACFS (ASM Clustered File System) are standard functionality.
But I don't know why you would want to do this. If you want fault tolerance for your Grid Control (or Cloud Control, you haven't given the release of anything yet) management servers, just run two of them. Your agents can be configured to try one then the other, though the technique is a bit different depending your OEM version.
Re: creating cluster resources for oracle enterprise manager using clusterware [message #569310 is a reply to message #569308] Wed, 24 October 2012 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jagdip
Thanks. We are using OEM 12.1.0.2. I did not know that I can run two of them independently and have agents try each one. That is a good idea because database is shared anyway through RAC. However, OEM documentation asks for Load Balancer in case of two active OEM installations. I would love to hear how to do it.
Re: creating cluster resources for oracle enterprise manager using clusterware [message #569311 is a reply to message #569310] Wed, 24 October 2012 11:39 Go to previous message
John Watson
I think you are right: the docs do say that a load balancer is needed. I've done it with DNS, one host name resolving to two addresses, but perhaps that isn't supported. Sorry, I can't advise further - other than to say that clusterware can certainly handle the failover of the VIP, and mounting the file system on both nodes.
Previous Topic: RMAN backup status
Next Topic: Clusterware installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:53:34 CDT 2024