Home » Other » Community Hangout » Other forums
Other forums [message #566376] Thu, 13 September 2012 11:33 Go to next message
John Watson
It has been suggested to me that I need to start contributing on other forums, presumably to raise my public profile for marketing purposes. I've put a few messages on OTN Oracle Discussion Forums / Oracle Database / General this afternoon (I have 5 status points already! another 2495 and I will be a Guru!) I wondered if anyone had any advice about what boards might be helpful?

Re: Other forums [message #566378 is a reply to message #566376] Thu, 13 September 2012 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
These are not message board based forums, but best places to participate.

C.D.O.S (comp.databases.oracle.server) a Google group now.
It is from where I (and most of us) started to learn stuff. Unfortunately, not in the same caliber anymore.

Oracle L (in freelists) is an active source with great participants.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2012 11:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Other forums [message #566380 is a reply to message #566378] Thu, 13 September 2012 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Well, Mladen Gogala will not agree with you and said that Oracle-L is now swepted by people that don't want to read the documentation and just want to be spoonfed and in cdos you get answers from people that are there since more than 15 years... but often rebuff those that are the stock of Oracle-L.

Regards
Michel
Re: Other forums [message #566381 is a reply to message #566380] Thu, 13 September 2012 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
> swepted by people that don't want to read the documentation
That would apply to almost all tech forums.
I am not checking CDOS anymore. Maybe I should.
Re: Other forums [message #566385 is a reply to message #566381] Thu, 13 September 2012 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Oracle forum on dBforums (which was my starting point). I suppose you could participate in several other dBforums as well (for example, ANSI SQL, Concepts & Design, Chit chat /forum/fa/917/0/ and such).

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2012 12:50]

Re: Other forums [message #566392 is a reply to message #566376] Thu, 13 September 2012 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
If your goal is to raise your public profile for marketing purposes, then the OTN forums are the place to be. The SQL and PL/SQL and General sub-forums have gotten pretty crowded. If there is some area that you specialize in, for which there is a sub-forum, then that is the place to be. But don't stop participating in the OraFAQ forums in the meanwhile. I know that time is limited. The only Oracle sites that I routinely browse nowadays are the OraFAQ forums, the OTN forums, and asktom.oracle.com. On the OTN forums, I generally stick to the less busy sub-forums, like Oracle Text, Objects, and Spatial. I find that there are more interesting questions there and fewer people answering them. On the SQL and PL/SQL and General sub-forums, by the time I compose a thorough answer to common questions, somebody else will probably already have answered, so it is generally not worth bothering with.

Re: Other forums [message #566409 is a reply to message #566392] Fri, 14 September 2012 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thank you for the suggestions, people.
That OTN/General forum seems to be, kind of, competitive: people try to get an answer in first, and then if it is correct others repeat as though it were their own. The business of status points is bizarre. And annoying, when one gives the first correct answer, and the credit goes to someone else! I have 20 points already. Whoopee.

I'm just not cut out for this marketing stuff.
Re: Other forums [message #566449 is a reply to message #566409] Fri, 14 September 2012 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Most of us that are more experienced just ignore the points and the point system, as it is not what we are there for. If you check the OTN Community Feedback sub-forum, you will find a number of discussions on the subject. In your case, I would focus more on getting known than collecting points.
Re: Other forums [message #566491 is a reply to message #566449] Sat, 15 September 2012 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Well it's a bit easier to ignore the points when you have an Ace symbol beside your name. Smile It has to be somewhat annoying for someone with John's knowledge to be listed as a Newbie. I never really frequented the forums (OTN or OraFAQ) until recently. I started contributing for much the same reason as John and it was to me. I'll admit to caring about points more than I really should have. I just passed 500 and into the 'Pro' level so I no longer feel like like I'm sporting a pacifier and rattle every time I make a post. I don't lust after Expert or Guru status so the points are largely irrelevant to me now.
Re: Other forums [message #596198 is a reply to message #566376] Wed, 18 September 2013 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I m now a Guru!
https://forums.oracle.com/people/JohnWatson

Takes me back thirty years: some company produced a contraption that you put on the floor under your desk and operated with your feet. The result was kind of like a mouse. It worked with an Apple 2, I think. But you could also sit on it, and operate it by wiggling your bum. So we wrote the "guru meditation game" where you had to sit on it, cross legged and absolutely motionless. If you moved, the mouse pointer would move and set off a series of ctrl-G beeps. What fun us gurus used to have.
Re: Other forums [message #596202 is a reply to message #596198] Wed, 18 September 2013 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
A Guru status in OTN in just an year's time is something which proves you are really a Guru. I am proud to make this comment as the term "Guru" originated from Sanskrit, an ancient Indian language. And still in it's pure form in Hindi(official language of India), it means "teacher" or "master". Congratulations, and I wish, you keep motivating us throughout our lives.

Regards,
Lalit
Re: Other forums [message #596251 is a reply to message #596202] Thu, 19 September 2013 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Lalit Kumar B wrote on Wed, 18 September 2013 16:33
A Guru status in OTN in just an year's time is something which proves you are really a Guru. I am proud to make this comment as the term "

The only gurus I am familiar with are Hoodoo Gurus. Ross may know who they are, being that they are also down under.
However, I do congratulate John Watson on his achievement.
That contraption he talk about sounds like the precursor for the Wii Balance Board.
Re: Other forums [message #596286 is a reply to message #596251] Thu, 19 September 2013 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Hoodoo Gurus are very well known down under. I highly recommend the album Stoneage Romeos.

Well done, John.
Re: Other forums [message #596329 is a reply to message #596286] Fri, 20 September 2013 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
rleishman wrote on Thu, 19 September 2013 21:22
Hoodoo Gurus are very well known down under. I highly recommend the album Stoneage Romeos.

I got Stoneage Romeos back in 1984 I think. One of my all time favorites. They have toured USA quite a few times and I have seen them about 10 times live. At one show in NY, their instruments were stolen and they had to use the instruments of the warm-up act, Soul Asylum.
Re: Other forums [message #622705 is a reply to message #596329] Thu, 28 August 2014 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Gurus in India are well liked by foreigners, especially the Gurus who are spritual and practice Yoga. Have you guys heard about "Rolls Royce Guru"? He was indeed very famous in US.

If any of you guys ever get a chance to visit India, may be an Oracle open world(seldom conducted here) or Oracle's new product launch/publicity, you could interact the local folks and get to know what Indians think about Gurus Smile

The word "GURU" originated in India in Sanskrit language(now extinct). But, it still retains its meaning in different languages throught globe, which means an Expert/SME.
Re: Other forums [message #622729 is a reply to message #622705] Thu, 28 August 2014 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Lalit Kumar B

... in Sanskrit language (now extinct)

Are you sure? Because I think it is not, saw it on TV. So either you or they aren't telling the truth.

P.S. Oh, yes: where did I watch it? I believe it was Indiana Jones 2.
Re: Other forums [message #622731 is a reply to message #622729] Thu, 28 August 2014 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Littlefoot wrote on Fri, 29 August 2014 00:05
Lalit Kumar B

... in Sanskrit language (now extinct)

Are you sure?

Lol! I am absolutely sure. I have had been to most of the places in India, and Sanskrit is extinct now. The common language is "Hindi"(among the most spoken languages in world), derived from sanskrit.

I still remember, I was taught sanskrit when I was in school. It was the toughest subject, and we got rid off it in Higher secondary, i.e. 12th standard.
Re: Other forums [message #622732 is a reply to message #622731] Thu, 28 August 2014 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> Lol! I am absolutely sure. I have had been to most of the places in India, and Sanskrit is extinct now. The common language is "Hindi"(among the most spoken languages in world), derived from sanskrit.
This could be the most ridiculous statement that I came across in recent times.

There is a difference between an extinct and dead language.
Dead? Almost yes. Very less native speakers with Sanskrit as first language.
Extinct? No way. Your own statement states you were taught by someone.
Just because "you got rid of it" will not make it extinct.

Sanskrit is still taught in many schools in India and across the world.
Sanskrit is the third language for my kid ( a second grader) and I could call it as my fourth language (learning).

Hindi is not derived from Sanskrit. Has roots from Awadhi , Khari Boli , Maithili and certain other dialects. Modern present
day Hindi is refined from Khari Boli.
Like many Indian languages, Hindi has lots of loan word from Sanskrit and Vice versa.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 August 2014 14:12]

Re: Other forums [message #622733 is a reply to message #622731] Thu, 28 August 2014 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
I have had been to most of the places in India, and Sanskrit is extinct now.

I blame the linguistic trophy hunters. If having a set of Sanskrit horns mounted in your den hadn't become such a status symbol back in the late 80's, there might still be teeming herds of Sanskriti in the world today.
Re: Other forums [message #622748 is a reply to message #622733] Fri, 29 August 2014 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
By extinct I meant "no longer actively used". Almost nil native speakers. Yes, still taught in schools from 6th -10th standard, but I haven't seen anybody talking in sanskrit, except a very few people(hardly in numbers, compared to the rest) whom I have seen in few temples. But generally speaking, it is no longer actively used.
Re: Other forums [message #622895 is a reply to message #622748] Mon, 01 September 2014 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Quote:
In India, Sanskrit is among the 14 original languages of the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution.

According to this.
Re: Other forums [message #622898 is a reply to message #622895] Mon, 01 September 2014 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Nice. I wasn't aware it is one of the official languages in one of the Indian states. And now I am ashamed that I lived for 20 years in it's neighboring state and didn't know the fact Sad

[Updated on: Mon, 01 September 2014 09:05]

Re: Other forums [message #622958 is a reply to message #622898] Tue, 02 September 2014 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gazzag
Don't sweat it, Lalit. India's a hell of a big place with over 1.2 billion inhabitants. We even refer to it as a sub-continent rather than a country Very Happy Who is going to know everything about that?
Re: Other forums [message #622960 is a reply to message #622958] Tue, 02 September 2014 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
+1 gazzag.

@John,

Regarding participation in other DB forums, I recently joined stackoverflow and immediately started participating in Oracle and sql related questions. I earned handful points and some badges, yet to explore its significance. To my excitement, my first reply got few votes up and OP marked it as best answer. And I was intimated about +25 points for it as an achievement. And it also said that I got "teacher" badge as my 1st answer was marked as best answer.

It was a bit awkward on first day to find a suitable forum to participate as it is flooded with numerous questions from various fields. Just name a technology and you can find the tags. I had to keep searching for new questions using the "tags" functionality. Unlike other forums, stackoverflow is quite different. Folks usually participating in OraFAQ or OTN might struggle to get acquainted initially. I see "Justin Cave" being one of the members.

To my surprise, in my 2nd post where I provided a link to documentation, I was suggested by a few members NOT to provide link-only answers and that SO(stackoverflow) might consider it in the deletion queue later. However, I was later suggested to include a piece of code from the same link. It was just a copy paste of the code, BUT, that's what is expected there. I found it a re-work or repitition.

Regards,
Lalit
Re: Other forums [message #623272 is a reply to message #566385] Sun, 07 September 2014 12:32 Go to previous message
rc3d
Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 13 September 2012 12:50
Oracle forum on dBforums (which was my starting point). I suppose you could participate in several other dBforums as well (for example, ANSI SQL, Concepts & Design, Chit chat /forum/fa/917/0/ and such).

I can't recommend dBforums. It's mostly dead for MySQL and Oracle.

I must say OraFAQ is an awesome community, so much gurus. I did not yet found something similar for MySQL/MariaDB.
Previous Topic: Incredible time sink
Next Topic: Old news or new news; depends upon who you ask
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:09:08 CDT 2024