Home » Other » Community Hangout » The day I met Mahesh Rajendran
The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #537794] Sat, 31 December 2011 03:43 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As I said: I think I saw Mahesh! It was a few days ago when I went to the cinema. There was "The Adventures of Tintin" on. I couldn't believe my own eyes (though, it was kind of dark in there) when I saw him!

He meant to fool me and hid behind another name: it was Captain Haddock, but nonetheless, I *think* I recognized him.

Take a look - was it him or not? What do you say?

/forum/fa/9690/0/

Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #537797 is a reply to message #537794] Sat, 31 December 2011 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vamsi kasina
Either the picture is not uploaded fully or I've some issue to see that.
Anyway, I think you are right [even though I didn't see the uploaded picture or the movie]. Cool

By
Vamsi
Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #537798 is a reply to message #537794] Sat, 31 December 2011 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Blistering barnacles!
I might be watching myself this weekend Smile
Grew up with Tintin/Asterix and been a fanboy forever.

Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #537799 is a reply to message #537798] Sat, 31 December 2011 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Vamsi, I'd say that you have issues.

Mahesh: you won't regret it, I enjoyed every second of the adventure and its humor. One of the best films I watched recently.

Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #537801 is a reply to message #537799] Sat, 31 December 2011 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vamsi kasina
Agreed..
My IE is not showing it..
Firefox is fine.

By
Vamsi
Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #537802 is a reply to message #537801] Sat, 31 December 2011 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Anyone seen the new version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo yet? I thought the books were excellent (I read the English translations) but I'm a bit worried that Hollywood might have decided to ignore the story and the characters in favour of sex and violence.
Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #538714 is a reply to message #537802] Mon, 09 January 2012 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balckbandit5
I've not seen the Hollywood version, but there was a swedish version released (dubbed in English aswell) in the summer of 2010 (I think). It was released on Blu-Ray early december of 2011 (we got the box set for christmas). It remains extremely true to the book, very good quality. Brilliant film, really recommend it whether you've read the books or not (If you've not read the book then be warned it is a little disturbing).
This is it: http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Tattoo-Trilogy-Extended-Blu-ray/dp/B005JTLTF2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1326100661&sr=8-7

Thats the extended edition, each film is split into 2 parts (so 6 parts total) of about 1.5 hours each...so yeh its long but well worth it Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2012 03:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #539696 is a reply to message #538714] Wed, 18 January 2012 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Update re The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo:
Saw the Hollywood version with a buddy yesterday, we both thought it was excellent but that if you haven't read the book it would be seriously confusing. The sex and violence (sometimes combined - you have been warned) is mostly necessary to the plot rather than gratuitous.
I'm getting to like these Nordic writers: Larsson, Mankell, Jo Nesbo. Any others?
Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #539732 is a reply to message #539696] Wed, 18 January 2012 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c_stenersen
I haven't seen the movie, but why change the title that dramatically? The book is called "men who hate women" dammit. I didn't even know it was based on that book until after I read about the movie on Wikipedia. I think anyways I would have to read the book in Swedish before seeing the movie. (I'm Norwegian myself, so it shouldn't be too difficult to understand.)
Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #539735 is a reply to message #539732] Wed, 18 January 2012 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
The title change was done on the book before even the swedish movie was released. I didn't know about the original title for ages.
Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #539764 is a reply to message #539735] Wed, 18 January 2012 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balckbandit5
I had no idea it wasn't originally "The girl with the Dragon Tattoo" o_O...was it ever in English under the original name? or was it changed when it was first translated do you know?
Re: The day I met Mahesh Rajendran [message #539765 is a reply to message #539764] Wed, 18 January 2012 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Pretty sure it was changed on the initial translation. I assume the english publisher wasn't too keen on the orginal title.
Men who hate women [message #541713 is a reply to message #539765] Thu, 02 February 2012 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
The other day I watched Swedish version on TV. This weekend, I'm going to the cinema and watch Hollywood version. Didn't read the book, yet.

I bought two other books, though (The Girl Who Played With Fire & The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest). Quite a lot of reading (small fonts!) - looking forward to it!

Recently, I had a chance to watch several Swedish movies. There was a TV-series on, Irene Huss. Swedish? Right, the main role is played by Angela Kovacs - smells like Hungarian surname; there are MANY Kovacs people here, where I live. Probably because I can see Hungary from my window. For you, who are interested in it, "kovacs" is - translated - a "blacksmith".
Re: Men who hate women [message #541774 is a reply to message #541713] Thu, 02 February 2012 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balckbandit5
I watched the Hollywood version a few days ago. It was so so similar to the swedish version, pretty much the main differences were that I didn't need it dubbed or subbed, it was slightly less graphic and they showed some slightly different scenes. I mean I wasn't expecting a completely different movie obviously...its based on the same book Razz But the actors looked so similar, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out they were some of the same people...
But it was a very good film.
Re: Men who hate women [message #541839 is a reply to message #541774] Thu, 02 February 2012 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
It's been banned in India
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jan/30/girl-dragon-tattoo-cancelled-india?newsfeed=true
Re: Men who hate women [message #541842 is a reply to message #541839] Thu, 02 February 2012 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yes, I heard that already.
Re: Men who hate women [message #542877 is a reply to message #541842] Fri, 10 February 2012 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I watched the Hollywood version as well. Balckbandit5 said it all ... very similar to Swedish version.

However, I preferred the "original". Why? Because some scenes were better (such as Lisbeth fighting bad guys in the subway with a broken glass bottle, the way she could have saved Martin when he crashed with a car (but rather left him burn)).

Furthermore, the film is based on a book written by a Swedish author. Places, streets, names are Swedish and they sound so much better when Swedish people pronounce it than non-native speakers.

If you wonder how come (that I'm such an expert in Swedish language) - I'm not. But: in a village where I come from, our neighbours lived in Sweden. Father left (former) Yugoslavia during 1968 (hint: Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia) as he didn't want to go to the army and, possibly, war. His girlfriend followed, so they stayed in Sweden and won't ever come back. They got kids and used to visit their homeland during Summer holidays. Now, that grandparents died & children grew up, they sold a property they have had and don't come here any more.

Their son was/is a wonderful guy; he worked for Ericsson all over the world - I remember he went to Japan, then he married a Canadian woman and they lived ... huh, in Dominican Republic or somewhere that exotic, in a villa with a swimming pool, great garden & backyard, had a nanny and all things that common people don't have (at least, not here where I live).

That's how I had a chance to listen to Swedish. Don't remember a single thing, but - somewhere back in my head, sound of it still rings a bell.

In a film, I think that just once I heard a TV-speaker pronouncing his (Mikael Blomkvist's) name the Swedish way. The rest was either pure (American) English or a bad Swedish copy.
Re: Men who hate women [message #542907 is a reply to message #542877] Fri, 10 February 2012 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Do naked girls look better in the Swedish version or American version? that's what will determine which one I see Wink
Re: Men who hate women [message #542911 is a reply to message #542907] Fri, 10 February 2012 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
LOL! See both, and then you tell me.
Re: Men who hate women [message #543038 is a reply to message #542911] Sun, 12 February 2012 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c_stenersen
I've seen them both over this weekend as well, and I also preferred the Swedish version. The two scenes Littlefoot mentions are good examples of what I missed (especially the car fire scene!), but also I felt than Lisbeth's character in the Swedish version was a little more extreme, and you could see more the contrast between her and the "ordinary" people. But I'd have to read the book before judging which of them are actually doing the best job at portraying what the author might have wanted to say. Smile
Re: Men who hate women [message #543052 is a reply to message #543038] Mon, 13 February 2012 00:15 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'm in the middle of a process of purchasing that book.

Seems like I'm going to send a shuttle to the Moon, at least ... the fact is: I don't read Swedish, so I'm going to buy Croatian translation. There are - as far as I know - three prints. One is paperback (4 EUR), another one looks prettier (and probably includes eyes-saving feature (printed in larger font than tiny paperback), but costs 20 EUR. Finally, a luxury edition (covers covered with linen) which contains all 3 books (impossible to buy separately) and costs 90 EUR.

So I'm trying to buy that 4 EUR one, but - it's out of stock. They promise they'll get another edition "tomorrow", but tomorrows won't come these days.

In the meantime, I'm reading the second book - The girl who played with fire. Me, stupido, missed Swedish films on TV (hopefully, they'll be re-run), while the Hollywood version is to come in 2013 (unless I'm wrong).
Previous Topic: What Happened?
Next Topic: Hi I am a new member
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:16:13 CDT 2024