Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » RAC cluster does not recognize the 'dba' group membership assignment to a user (Lynix Redhat 5)
RAC cluster does not recognize the 'dba' group membership assignment to a user [message #519989] Thu, 18 August 2011 01:39 Go to next message
Morgs

A summary of the problem:
It appears that the Oracle RAC cluster does not recognize the 'dba' group membership assignment to a user, unless it is assigned as the user's primary group.
This also only affects newly created users, older users do not have this issue.

This affects us in the following way:
We are unable to create new cluster resources with the SAPCTL tool with the <sid>adm user.
When we try to create a resource using sapctl as the <sid>adm user we receive the following error:

CRS-0259: Owner of the resource does not belong to the group. SAP ABAP VIP creation failed.

The description of this error is that the resource owner (<sid>adm) is not a member of the group defined by 'osdbagrp' (what the cluster expects group membership for os users to control cluster resources), in our case this group is 'dba'.
This is despite the user definitely being a member of the group.

Resource creation workaround:
We are able to get around the resource creation by creating the resources either as root user, or by assigning 'dba' as <sid>adm's primary group.
However, although we are able to control the VIP cluster resource, we are unable to control the other SAP enqueue resources as we assume that they need to be created by a user with 'sapsys' as a primary group (i.e. the resources do not start or it appears that there is not even an attempt to start the resources as there are no SAP startup logs created).

We have attempted multiple variations of creating and controlling cluster resources: changing <sid>adm primary group, changing cluster resource permissions, with nothing working for us.
The bottom line is that we need to be able to create these sapctl resources with a <sid>adm user that has 'sapsys' as a primary group while also being a member of the 'dba' group.

Thanks

Re: RAC cluster does not recognize the 'dba' group membership assignment to a user [message #522750 is a reply to message #519989] Tue, 13 September 2011 07:58 Go to previous message
nagakiran_1983
Hi Morgs,

This is Kiran, working as a SAP BASIS admin for Mphasis India.
We have configured RAC environment for one of my client on Linux and now we want to use the SAPCTL utility as the High Availabilty. For one of the system on the same RAC nodes we can able to configure the Resources successfully and for the other systems we are unable to configure the resources. We are getting the same error. CRS-0259:Owner of the resource does not belong to the group.

We have compared the Groups with the other system that we have successfully configured. Everything is same as is for this system also.

Could you please help us out. How you had resolved your issue.
You are my last hope. Searched in google and metalink too but couldn't able to find any one or post on SAPCTL.

If you need any further information, you can get me at nagakiran_1983@yahoo.co.in or nagakiran1983@gmail.com

Please help me. Thanks In Advance.

Regards,
Kiran
Previous Topic: ASM candidate disks not found on grid resintall
Next Topic: root.sh fails on Oracle cluster installation.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:02:58 CDT 2024