Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Remote db connection with gateway (OEL 5.5 , Oracle 11.2.0.2.0)
Remote db connection with gateway [message #519408] Thu, 11 August 2011 21:40 Go to next message
s197oo302

We just finished project that have 4 hp unix application server and connected to exadata quarter rack server.
that is for the 3 million subscriber.
For the expansion, we could increase to full exadata and have 9 hp unix application server in one area.

Other than that, company is thinking about buy other half rack and 6 more hp unix application server in another area and gateway is installed in between, gateway will spread connection based on the certain rule.

I think first scenario is simple and good for the performance.
Second one is complicated and the reason for this is business purpose to sell gateway, so get more sale and profit.
Is there any performance degrade if we use gateway and connection separation and operating dual database machine. I think there's also network congestion and gateway processing time.

If second scenario performance degrade is not that big, we might consider second one cause it is better for us little bit. in that case we don't think about database sync algorithm. two different db will store different customer information maintain two database is inconvenient, we might try second method.

How your suggestion?/forum/fa/9249/0/

[Updated on: Thu, 11 August 2011 22:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Remote db connection with gateway [message #519434 is a reply to message #519408] Fri, 12 August 2011 02:28 Go to previous message
John Watson
Hi - I think that upgrading your 1/4 rack to a full would cost US$0.75m, whereas buying a 1/2 rack is $0.5m (very approximately, and of course not counting the RAC licenses.) A pity there isn't a 3/4 rack configuration! Could that be why a second DB Machine is being suggested?
Previous Topic: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database
Next Topic: ora 12514 not found. (Merge By ROD)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:26:36 CDT 2024