Home » Other » Community Hangout » New Jersey radio
New Jersey radio [message #505215] Sat, 30 April 2011 10:23 Go to next message
John Watson
I'm going to be spending the next few days in Jersey City, can any of the Americans here recommend any radio stations? Either decent music (which I classify as probably over 30 years old - there's a nice piece of bigotry for you) or intelligent talk?

Regards,
"Lonesome Traveller"
Re: New Jersey radio [message #505217 is a reply to message #505215] Sat, 30 April 2011 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>intelligent talk?
Some would claim in the USA this is a total oxymoron; other words nothing intelligent exists in the realm of "talk radio".
The majority of talk radio stations in USA are devoted to the conservative side of the political discussion.

Some/many/most radio stations in the USA stream the live audio from their website.
So when you have decent Internet access from anywhere in the world
you can listen "live radio" broadcast from any such station.

[Updated on: Sat, 30 April 2011 13:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Jersey radio [message #505264 is a reply to message #505217] Sun, 01 May 2011 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thanks for the heads-up re talk radio. Guess I'll rely on the BBC World Service.
Oxymorons? Teamwork. United Nations. Starbucks Coffee.
Re: New Jersey radio [message #505283 is a reply to message #505264] Sun, 01 May 2011 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Are you in Jersey City yet? Are you looking for stations that you can listen to while driving or what? There are some websites that you can use to search for radio stations by area and format, such as:

http://www.ontheradio.net/stations.aspx

I believe what you are looking for is classified as "oldies". A search of oldies stations within 40 miles of Jersey City finds:

WKHL     96.7 FM 	Kool 96.7 FM 	                                Stamford, CT 	        
WCBS    101.1 FM 	101.1 Jack FM - Playing what we want 	        New York, NY 	        
WWTR   1170   AM 	Number 1 for the hits of the 50s and 60s 	Bridgewater, NJ 	
WMTR   1250   AM 	Number 1 for the hits of the 50s and 60s 	Morristown, NJ 	        
WHTG   1410   AM 	Oldies & Classic American Standards Come Alive 	Eatontown, NJ 	        
WGHT   1500   AM 	North Jersey  	                                Pompton Lakes, NJ 	
WRNJ   1510   AM 	WRNJ Oldies  	                                Hackettstown, NJ 	

From there, you can click on individual websites, such as:

http://www.wmtram.com/

Some such sites allow you to do things like show a list of the last 100 songs played, so you can see if it is your kind of music:

http://beta.wmtram.com/last100.aspx

Once you find what appeals to you, then you know what stations to look for on the radio. Also, most cars nowadays have scan features where you can start it scanning, it will play about 5 seconds of each station that it can get a decent signal from, then go on to the next until you stop it. So, you can stop the scanning as soon as you hear something you like.

Re: New Jersey radio [message #505286 is a reply to message #505283] Sun, 01 May 2011 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thanks, BB - these guys http://www.1057thehawk.com will do for music.
I always like to listen to local stations wherever I am. For instance, if the news is a long list of car-jackings and armed robberies you know it is probably not a good idea to go out alone.

Re: New Jersey radio [message #505287 is a reply to message #505286] Sun, 01 May 2011 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
It looks like you are more into "classic rock" than "oldies" of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I enjoy both formats plus country and some classical, even the big band era, but much of the modern stuff gets on my nerves. If I walk into a store and they have rap blaring loudly, I am likely to do an about face, exit, and go to another store. However, I remember when the type of music that seems mellow now used to get on my parents nerves and I thought their classical stuff that I find soothing now was boring. I usually enjoy the nostalgia of the type of music they play in the grocery stores.

I agree with checking the local stuff, including weather, traffic, and news. It is always a good idea not to be out alone, especially at night, especially in an unfamiliar area. If you do have to go out alone, it is best to stick to well-populated areas, but make sure anything that you are carrying can't be easily grabbed and taken off with.

There are some things that will be on the news no matter where you are. Even though coverage of the "royal wedding" began at 1 a.m. California time, I think there were a lot of people having parties to sit and watch it. Today is "May day" and in the U.S. there are usually "immigration marches" on this day that are prone to sometimes escalating into riots, so it is a good day to stay home and indoors. If you are still in the U.S. on May 5th (Cinco de Mayo), it is a day when Mexicans in the U.S. do a lot of beer drinking and a good day to stay off the road to avoid the drunk drivers. Those are the only national things that I can think of to forewarn you of before you run into the march or parade and start trying to figure out what is going on. It would be a good idea to check with somebody local for any local events, good or bad, that you might want to be aware of. I have never been to New Jersey, so I don't know what tourist attractions you might be interested in visiting while you are there.

The only interesting thing that I have on my calendar in the next several days is that the space shuttle Endeavor is tentatively scheduled to launch May 8, but it has already been postponed multiple times, so it might or might not happen. I remember when such things used to be a big thing, were always early in the morning California time, carried on live television, and everybody watched. I don't know if it has gotten less popular because it is more common or what.

Space shuttle schedule:
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

Re: New Jersey radio [message #505403 is a reply to message #505287] Mon, 02 May 2011 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If you're interested in space flight, BB, do you follow the European Space Agency? I worked at ESOC (the ESA Space Operations Centre) in Darmstadt for a few years. Most of the missions I was involved with are over: Cluster 1 exploded (accidently), the Huygens probe crashed (that was deliberate) but ERS 2 is still up there, telling us about the ozone hole.
The ESA Bulletin is a good read (if you are a really dweebie person) I get a printed copy, but I don't know if they are still giving away subscriptions, try them on www.esoc.esa.de.
Re: New Jersey radio [message #505412 is a reply to message #505403] Mon, 02 May 2011 20:14 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
Thanks for the web address. The issues of the ESA Bulletin can be read online:

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ESA_Publications_Bulletin/index.html

I also subscribed to email notification of updates.
Previous Topic: Croatian vacation
Next Topic: reading material
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:16:09 CDT 2024