Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Moving Indexes ... ???
Moving Indexes ... ??? [message #434228] Mon, 07 December 2009 22:19 Go to next message
newbie01.oracle
Hi all,

At the moment, we have a "rule" that tables and indexes should reside in different tablespaces. I know
this is an "old" rule before the time of the SAN but we want to keep this same rule.

Now we inherited an install where tables and indexes are on one single tablespace and we want to move
the indexes into a separate tablespace.

We've move the "normal" indexes and currently still left with indexes that are LOB, IOT - TOP and
FUNCTION-BASED NORMAL.

I know we can move the LOB and FUNCTION-BASED NORMAL but there is a huge arguments amongts our DBAs
that we cannot move IOT - TOP because they contain actual data? May I have the opinions of the gurus
please whether it is possible or not to move IOT - TOP indexes and whether they really contain data
or just plain indexes?

Any response will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Moving Indexes ... ??? [message #434229 is a reply to message #434228] Mon, 07 December 2009 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://yaodba.blogspot.com/2006/07/moving-iot.html

http://www.saptechies.com/oracle-index-organized-tables-iots/

You are supposed to SEARCH before posting!

GOOGLE is your friend, but only when you actually use it.
Re: Moving Indexes ... ??? [message #434230 is a reply to message #434229] Mon, 07 December 2009 22:51 Go to previous message
newbie01.oracle
Hi BlackSwan,

Thanks for the links ... I think I missed the keyword move on my Google so I didn't get the links that you posted.

Turns out most of the IOTs are CTX's and I believe there is a package specific for that schema to use for moving around its objects.

My apologies ...

[Updated on: Mon, 07 December 2009 23:20] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: reduce the size of the table file
Next Topic: granting all system privileges
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 01 02:35:27 CDT 2024