Home » Infrastructure » Unix » [URGENT] Need help with Unix commands
[URGENT] Need help with Unix commands [message #405959] Mon, 01 June 2009 03:03 Go to next message
rak007
Hi Guys,
i am facing issue with Unix commands

I created a small shell script to reproduce this issue.

echo FCP_USERNAME="TEST.MESSAGE"  | sed 's/FCP_USERNAME=//g' > tmp
cat tmp | read abc
echo value is $abc

Now we are working on Oracle upgrade project and the Unix Box used for the older version was a HP UX and the new Unix Box is based on Linux. I am not aware about these OS technicalities.

So when the above shell script is encapsulated in a file named test.sh and i run the command as

sh test.sh

The result on the HP UX based Unix is

value is TEST.MESSAGE

while on the new Unix box it is

value is

The value is not displayed at all. the READ command does not work in this new Unix Box. On further search i gave the command

man read

and it did not throw any results which i think means that READ command is not available in this version. right ?

In that case what is the workaround to reach the value to a variable/file echoed by the ECHO command ??
Re: [URGENT] Need help with Unix commands [message #405963 is a reply to message #405959] Mon, 01 June 2009 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Please, note that this is Oracle forum.

Your question, although remotely regards Oracle, is - in its core - operating system related. Perhaps you should search for the answer on one of Unix (or Linux) forums.
Re: [URGENT] Need help with Unix commands [message #405987 is a reply to message #405959] Mon, 01 June 2009 06:26 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Please read OraFAQ Forum Guide.

This question bears no real connection with Oracle.
Please find a more appropriate forum.
The topic is locked.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Oracle PROC configuration
Next Topic: chatr oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:52:53 CDT 2024