Home » RDBMS Server » Security » forgot the password of a schema (oracle 9i, Windows XP)
forgot the password of a schema [message #315302] Mon, 21 April 2008 00:53 Go to next message
oracle_me
Hi,
I created a user 'U1' in oracle database using create user command.
The problem is I have forgotten the password now.
There are lots of database objects in it and re-creating them all will be a waste of time/tedious.
Is there anyway to find out the password,in system tables/V$ views .anywhere the password is stored to recover.I badly want it.
Please ..URGENT..
Re: forgot the password of a schema [message #315306 is a reply to message #315302] Mon, 21 April 2008 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Is there anyway to find out the password,in system tables/V$ views .anywhere the password is stored to recover.

No. Hopefully.
Just ask your DBA to change it.

Regards
Michel
Re: forgot the password of a schema [message #315310 is a reply to message #315306] Mon, 21 April 2008 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oracle_me
Hi,
There is no one who actually maintains this DB as I created this in my local database to have another user apart from scott .
So If you could tell me how the DBA changes the password, perhaps I will do the same. Please..
Re: forgot the password of a schema [message #315313 is a reply to message #315310] Mon, 21 April 2008 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gopu_g

connect as sysdba user

alter user <username> identified by <passwd>;
Re: forgot the password of a schema [message #315315 is a reply to message #315310] Mon, 21 April 2008 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oracle_me
Hi ,
I got it.
for the benefit of the others.
If you want to change password of a schema.
Connect as sysdba in SQL PLUS.
give :
ALTER USER <username> IDENTIFIED BY <password>.
This works and I have got back my schema.. !! Smile
Re: forgot the password of a schema [message #315319 is a reply to message #315313] Mon, 21 April 2008 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
connect as sysdba user

This is a bad advice for anything but a test database.

- Never ever use SYS but for maintenance purpose (startup, shutdown, backup, recover)
- SYS is special
- SYS is Oracle proprietary (try to open a SR/TAR starting with "i did that with SYS" and you'll see the immediate answer)
- SYS does not act like any other user
- When you use SYS Oracle deactivates some code path and activates others
- Whatever you do with SYS will neither validate nor invalidate the same thing with any other user.

NEVER EVER use SYS for anything that can be done by another user.
Use SYS ONLY for something that can't be done by someone else.

Regards
Michel
Re: forgot the password of a schema [message #315320 is a reply to message #315310] Mon, 21 April 2008 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
There is no one who actually maintains this DB as I created this in my local database to have another user apart from scott

So how is this a URGENT problem as you stated it?
Only production database is urgent., if there is anything urgent in forum.

Quote:
for the benefit of the others...

No, don't use SYSDBA use a DBA, at most SYSTEM if you didn't create new one but don't use SYSDBA, see my previous post.

Regards
Michel
Re: forgot the password of a schema [message #315341 is a reply to message #315319] Mon, 21 April 2008 03:53 Go to previous message
gopu_g

Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 21 April 2008 01:27
Quote:
connect as sysdba user

This is a bad advice for anything but a test database.

- Never ever use SYS but for maintenance purpose (startup, shutdown, backup, recover)
- SYS is special
- SYS is Oracle proprietary (try to open a SR/TAR starting with "i did that with SYS" and you'll see the immediate answer)
- SYS does not act like any other user
- When you use SYS Oracle deactivates some code path and activates others
- Whatever you do with SYS will neither validate nor invalidate the same thing with any other user.

NEVER EVER use SYS for anything that can be done by another user.
Use SYS ONLY for something that can't be done by someone else.

Regards
Michel

Thanks Michel...

i understood the matter

Regards
Gopu

Previous Topic: User Privilege
Next Topic: locking a particular user account in webapplications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:51:13 CDT 2024